Dry Skin Savers
The evidence is written all over your face. You could tell co-workers you got a facial, but chances are your dry, peeling skin is going to leak the truth: You fell asleep by the pool this weekend. Again.
Dry, summer skin doesn’t have to get you down. Get glowing skin this season with a few tips from our friends at Healthy Bitch Daily. Surf’s up.
1. Drink, drink, drink. Water, that is. Try to consume at least 8 to 10 glasses a day. If you hate drinking H2O, add a cucumber to make it more palatable.
2. Invest in a humidifier. Humidifiers keep the skin moist during winter.
3. Exercise. Producing sweat and increasing blood flow to skin helps improve internal hydration.
4. Pull the ole’ switcharoo. When taking a shower, alternate between hot and cool water. (Stay away from extremes.) The balance acts as an internal massager to improve circulation and hydrate your skin. Also, try to stay away from scorching hot baths, which strip skin of moisture.
5. Exfoliate. Use a mild, exfoliating scrub in the shower and on your face to slough off dead skin and reveal your brightest self.
6. Apply a moisturizer. Lather immediately after bath, before your body dries up, to trap in moisture. Apply it lightly along the direction of hair follicles to avoid freaky bumps known as “oil acne.”
7. Soak your oats. Take a colloidal oatmeal bath, which helps prevent water loss and soothes the skin. It can also help relieve skin irritations.
DIY Colloidal Oat Meal Bath
Step 1: Blend oats (unflavored instant oatmeal, quick oats or slow cooking oats) in a blender or food processor until you have a fine, consistent powder.
Step 2: Sprinkle the oatmeal into a tub of running water and stir the water with your hands to distribute evenly. Break up any clumps on the tub floor.
Step 3: Soak for 15 to 20 minutes and pat dry with a soft towel rather than rubbing.